[Python-Dev] Missing PY_ prefixes in structmember.h

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 09:37:10 EDT 2016

I'm sure this has a simple explanation (and is probably only of historical
interest at this point), but ...

While starting to port the Python Sybase module to Python 3, among other
hurdles, I noticed that RO is no longer defined. Looking in structmember.h,
I see that most of the macros defined there are missing a PY_ prefix. Given
that these are macros which are likely to be used by extension modules and
are thus really part of the C API, shouldn't they have PY_ or _PY_
prefixes? This file got its start in 1990, so would surely have been around
for the great renaming
<http://python-history.blogspot.com/2009/03/great-or-grand-renaming.html>.
Looking at the documentation on defining new types, I saw no mention of
these peculiarly named constants, though they are clearly documented.

Thanks,

Skip