[Python-Dev] Python private and protected variables and methods

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Nov 29 12:39:01 EST 2016

On 11/29/2016 9:39 AM, Annapoornima Koppad wrote:

> While teaching Python protected variables, I figured out the oddity
> about Python.
> I am using Python 2.7.12+ for my teaching.
> There is not really a concept of protected variables in Python, is it?

Only the _ convention.

> For a more detailed explanation of what I am trying to do, please read
> this article,
> http://radek.io/2011/07/21/private-protected-and-public-in-python/
>
> It that is the case, Python is not suitable for companies that require
> secure transactions such as  Banking softwares. What solution are
> possible to overcome data masquerading attempts that might result
> because of this?

Hello, Annapoornima

pydev list is for development of future Python and Cpython.  Questions
about using current Python should be directed to python-list or other
forums such as Stackoverflow or specialized lists.

I know that Python is heavily used in the American finacial sector but
not anything about specific security practices.  I expect python-list to
have readers that do know something.  When you post, try to be a bit
more specific about particular threat models.

--
Terry Jan Reedy