[Python-Dev] Installing Python on Windows

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Mon Nov 7 14:24:34 EST 2016

Hi all

Those of you who follow me on Twitter (@zooba) may have noticed that I
posted one of my rare blog posts over the weekend about the increasing
range of Python installers available for Windows.

I figured I'd draw some attention here in case others are interested in
my rationale for why the main installer is how it is, and why I'm also
experimenting with other forms of installer or package:

http://stevedower.id.au/blog/why-so-many-python-installers/

Arguably this would make a good section in the docs or a PEP, though
it's very point-in-time content, so a blog seems fine for now. There's
also not really anything in the docs about how Linux distributors
package up CPython, so maybe it's best as entirely standalone content.

Cheers,
Steve

(In case anyone is suspicious, I earn no income from my blog and there
are no ads. So I hope I'm not promoting the link for selfish reasons :) )