[Python-Dev] Benchmarks: Comparison between Python 2.7 and Python 3.6 performance

Wolfgang Maier wolfgang.maier at biologie.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Nov 7 10:11:55 EST 2016

On 05.11.2016 10:56, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> Hi Victor,
>
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 13:53:10 +0100
> Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Raw results of Python 3.6 compared to Python 2.7:
>
> That's interesting, but I would be personally more interested in
> a performance comparison of 3.5 and 3.6, to know if anything
> interesting (or worrying :-)) has happened there.

You can get this as well from https://speed.python.org/comparison/
and https://speed.python.org/timeline and looking at this, I think there
is something worrying indeed:
Startup time has increased by ~ 30 % between 3.5 and 3.6 again. More
specifically, all this increase happened between Sep 09 and Sep 15.

I have no clue why that is, but it is definitely the biggest effect far
and wide.