[Python-Dev] Implementing (parts of) copy module in C

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Wed Nov 2 02:23:22 EDT 2016

Rasmus Villemoes writes:

 > First, apologies if this isn't the appropriate list; I trust I'll be
 > nudged in the right direction.

Given the relatively advanced state of patch, I doubt that this is the
*wrong* list.  However, you would probably benefit from posting to
python-list at python.org to collect use cases.  (We don't "vote" on such
additions.  Rather the senior devs consider whether the use cases seem
general enough to justify on-going maintenance costs for new code.)

 > I would of course also be very interested in getting it into 2.7.x,
 > but I assume that's impossible(?).

That is correct.  This is clearly a feature, and 2.7 currently is
accepting only security-related patches (broadly construed -- a
sufficiently severe bug, such as a crash or infloop, is security-
related because it could be used to implement a DoS attack).

 > Where/how should RFC patches be posted?

To the issue tracker, bugs.python.org.  A follow-up here (and if you
choose to post to python-list, there) to mention the issue number and
URL is a good idea.