[Python-Dev] New hash algorithms: SHA3, SHAKE, BLAKE2, truncated SHA512

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Fri May 27 10:31:45 EDT 2016

OpenSSL sucks. Python would only have to bundle a reference implementation
of the new hash algorithm(s), and unlike TLS suites they tend to just work.

BLAKE2 is important, since it removes the last objection to replacing MD5 -
speed - that has made it hard for cryptography fans to convince MD5 users
to upgrade.