[Python-Dev] Removing the provisional label from pathlib

Koos Zevenhoven k7hoven at gmail.com
Tue May 24 07:03:34 EDT 2016

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 10:38 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> 3.5 is still getting bugfixes:
>> https://docs.python.org/devguide/#status-of-python-branches
>>
>> As for backporting __fspath__() for pathlib, you can easily write your own
>> subclass that adds it. And since the stdlib won't be updated in 3.5 for
>> consumption of fspath
>

> OK -- when I said "it", I meant the whole shebang -- i.e. the stdlib stuff
> too. But fair enough, we can't be backporting everything, and I that would
> be touching a lot of the lib.
>
> -CHB

I guess we might consider adding __fspath__ in maintenance releases,
and make open() support it? That would cover a significant share of
use cases, although it might be weird if code written for 3.5.2
doesn't run on 3.5.1... So maybe just 3.6-> ?

I'm not quite as busy as last week, so I might consider working on the
stdlib changes if I find the time. Or is someone already working on
this?

-- Koos