[Python-Dev] Python2.7.11+ as in Debian testing and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS crashes with segfault

Dr. Ján Jockusch jan.jockusch at perfact.de
Tue May 17 08:35:58 EDT 2016

Hello Python Developers,

I would like to draw your attention to a segmentation fault bug which
concerns the packaged versions of Python 2.7.11 as seen in Ubuntu's
latest 16.04 release and in Debian testing.

I have reported this bug in Ubuntu's tracker here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python2.7/+bug/1580577

The report contains a script which can reproduce the error for both
distributions' python2.7 packages.

The plain python.org version 2.7.11 does not exhibit this problem.

Matthias Klose, Debian maintainer for the package, has asked me to
into this regression in 2.7.12.

I'd like to help in tracking down this bug, please advise.

Thank you,

- Ján Jockusch