[Python-Dev] File system path PEP, part 2

Koos Zevenhoven k7hoven at gmail.com
Fri May 13 15:26:24 EDT 2016

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 8:52 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 03:43:29PM +0000, Brett Cannon wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 May 2016 at 04:00 Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> > I think it is a bit confusing to refer to "path objects", as that seems
>> > like you are referring only to pathlib.Path objects. It took me far too
>> > long to realise that here you mean generic path-like objects that obey
>> > the __fspath__ protocol rather than a specific concrete class.

This terminology is indeed a bit difficult, not least because there
are 6 different path classes in pathlib. A couple of months ago, I
decided to start to call these pathlib objects and path objects,
because I did not know what else to call them without doubling the
length.

>> > Since the ABC is called "PathLike", I suggest we refer to "path-like
>> > objects" rather than "path objects", both in the PEP and in the Python
>> > docs for this protocol.
>>
>> I went back and forth with this in my head while writing the PEP. The
>> problem with making "path-like" mean "objects implementing the PathLike
>> ABC" becomes how do you refer to an argument of a function that accepts
>> anything os.fspath() does (i.e. PathLike, str, and bytes)?
>
> On further reflection, I think the right language is to use "path-like"
> for the union of Pathlike, str and bytes. That will, I think, cover the
> majority of cases: most functions which want to work on a file system
> path should accept all three. When you want to specify only an object
> which implements the PathLike ABC, that's called a (virtual) instance of
> PathLike.

As I've told Brett before, I think exactly this reasoning would be a
good enough reason not to call the ABC PathLike.

[...]
>> > Would I be right in saying that in practice this will actually end up
>> > being type(path).__fspath__() to match the behaviour of all(?) other
>> > dunder methods?
>>
>> I wasn't planning on it because for most types the accessing of the method
>> directly off of the type for magic methods is because of some special
>> struct field at the C level that we're pulling from. Since we're not
>> planning to have an equivalent struct field I don't see any need to do the
>> extra work of avoiding the instance participating in method lookup.
>> Obviously if people disagree for some reason then please let me know (maybe
>> for perf by avoiding the overhead of checking for the method on the
>> instance?).
>
> The reasons I would disagree are:
>
> (1) It took me a long time to learn the rule that dunder methods are
> always called from the class, not the instance, and now I have to learn
> that there are exceptions? Grrrr argggh.

Who knows, maybe the exception made it take a longer time..

IIRC the docs say that dunder methods are *not guaranteed* to be
called on the instance, because they may be called on the class.