[Python-Dev] PEP 515: Underscores in Numeric Literals (revision 3)

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Thu May 12 11:11:37 EDT 2016

OK, then PEP 515 is now officially accepted! Congratulations. Start the
implementation work!

--Guido (mobile)
On May 11, 2016 10:33 PM, "Georg Brandl" <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:

I'm happy with the latest version.

Georg

> If the authors are happy I'll accept it right away.
>
> (I vaguely recall there's another PEP that's ready for pronouncement --
but
> which one?)
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org
> <mailto:brett at python.org>> wrote:
>
>     Is there anything holding up PEP 515 at this point in terms of
acceptance or
>     implementation?
>
>     On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 at 11:56 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org
>     <mailto:guido at python.org>> wrote:
>
>         All that sounds fine!
>
>         On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Stefan Krah <stefan at bytereef.org
>         <mailto:stefan at bytereef.org>> wrote:
>         > Guido van Rossum <guido <at> python.org <http://python.org>>
writes:
>         >> So should the preprocessing step just be s.replace('_', ''),
or should
>         >> it reject underscores that don't follow the rules from the PEP
>         >> (perhaps augmented so they follow the spirit of the PEP and
the letter
>         >> of the IBM spec)?
>         >>
>         >> Honestly I think it's also fine if specifying this exactly is
left out
>         >> of the PEP, and handled by whoever adds this to Decimal.
Having a PEP
>         >> to work from for the language spec and core builtins (int(),
float()
>         >> complex()) is more important.
>         >
>         > I'd keep it simple for Decimal: Remove left and right
whitespace (we're
>         > already doing this), then remove underscores from the remaining
string
>         > (which must not contain any further whitespace), then use the
IBM grammar.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/guido%40python.org

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/brett%40python.org