[Python-Dev] Yearly PyPI breakage

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu May 5 20:13:11 EDT 2016

On Thu, 5 May 2016 at 16:00 Mark Lawrence via Python-Dev <
python-dev at python.org> wrote:

> On 05/05/2016 23:22, Stefan Krah wrote
> >
> > Fredrik Lundh is also affected (and might not have received any mail,
> > same as me):
> >
> >   https://pypi.python.org/pypi/PIL
> >

> He might be, but clearly the Python community as a whole is not
> impacted.  From what I see the latest version of PIL that is available
> is 1.1.6, which requires Python 1.5.2 or higher, and has the following
> stats:-
>
> 0 downloads in the last day
> 0 downloads in the last week
> 0 downloads in the last month
>
> I wish I could vent my feelings regarding your comments earlier in this
> thread but I won't, as apparently core developers can say what they like
> with no comeback,

I don't think that's fair. Several people pointed out that Stefan's initial
email was off-topic and somewhat rude, but was probably given some slack
due to the fact that having deployments to the Cheeseshop fail can be
frustrating (leeway I think anyone posting here would have received).

At this point I think there's nothing new to be said and unless someone
wants to take a more drastic step like a formal CoC complaint or calling
for the heads of the management of distutils-sig on spikes, this thread has
run its course.