[Python-Dev] Yearly PyPI breakage

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Tue May 3 16:42:46 EDT 2016

Nathaniel Smith <njs <at> pobox.com> writes:
> > If this continues, I'm going to release a premium version that's
> > 50% faster and only available from bytereef.org or Anaconda.
>
> There's no point in making threats -- you're threatening the air. PyPI
> is maintained by one overloaded developer (Donald Stufft, sponsored by
> HPE as part of their openstack work) with help from a few overloaded,
> burned-out volunteers. Everyone wants PyPI to be awesome and useful;
> your frustration is totally understandable, and lots of us share it.
> But the limitation here is that we have ~one person running a website
> that serves ~100,000,000 requests/day, and running as fast as they can
> just to keep things from breaking more than they already have. As long
> as that's the case it doesn't matter what "should" happen, there's
> no-one to do it.

This wasn't so much of a threat, it was resignation. At some point it
seems like the rational thing to do.

I don't fully understand your explanation. Judging by the link that
Donald posted (thanks!) it seems that PEP 470 introduced extra work
for him that would not have been present had things been left in place.

Also, I did not get any notification and now that I searched for
PEP 470 it seems that it wasn't announced here:

  https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2015-October/141838.html

But if the majority prefers PyPI that way, I'll stop arguing.

Stefan Krah