[Python-Dev] PEP 487: Simpler customization of class creation

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 20:41:53 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> If we had had these semantics in the language from the start, there would have
> been plenty uses of this order, and I suspect nobody would have considered
> asking for __definition_order__.

True.  The key thing that __definition_order__ provides is an explicit
relationship with the class definition.  Since we have the opportunity
to capture that now, I think we should take it, regardless of the type
of the class definition namespace or even of cls.__dict__.  For me the
strong association with the order in the class definition is worth
having.

-eric