[Python-Dev] proposed os.fspath() change

Koos Zevenhoven k7hoven at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 14:48:36 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 9:29 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 June 2016 at 10:59, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 at 09:48 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> These are really two separate proposals.
>>>
>>> I'm okay with checking the return value of calling obj.__fspath__; that's
>>> an error in the object anyways, and it doesn't matter much whether we do
>>> this or not (though when approving the PEP I considered this and decided not
>>> to insert a check for this). But it doesn't affect your example, does it? I
>>> guess it's easier to raise now and change the API in the future to avoid
>>> raising in this case (if we find that raising is undesirable) than the other
>>> way around, so I'm +0 on this.
>>
>> +0 from me as well. I know in some code in the stdlib that has been ported
>> which prior to adding support was explicitly checking for str/bytes this
>> will eliminate its own checking (obviously not a motivating factor as it's
>> pretty minor).
>
> I'd like a strong assertion that the return value of os.fspath() is a
> plausible filesystem path representation (so either bytes or str), and
> *not* some other kind of object that can also be used for accessing
> the filesystem (like a file descriptor or an IO stream)

I agree, so I'm -0.5 on passing through any object (at least by default).

>>> The other proposal (passing anything that's not understood right through)
>>> is more interesting and your use case is somewhat compelling. Catching the
>>> exception coming out of os.fspath() would certainly be much messier. The
>>> question remaining is whether, when this behavior is not desired (e.g. when
>>> the caller of os.fspath() just wants a string that it can pass to open()),
>>> the condition of passing that's neither a string not supports __fspath__
>>> still produces an understandable error. I'm not sure that that's the case.
>>> E.g. open() accepts file descriptors in addition to paths, but I'm not sure
>>> that accepting an integer is a good idea in most cases -- it either gives a
>>> mystery "Bad file descriptor" error or starts reading/writing some random
>>> system file, which it then closes once the stream is closed.
>>
>> The FD issue of magically passing through an int was also a concern when
>> Ethan brought this up in an issue on the tracker. My argument is that FDs
>> are not file paths and so shouldn't magically pass through if we're going to
>> type-check anything or claim os.fspath() only works with paths (FDs are
>> already open file objects). So in my view  either we go ahead and type-check
>> the return value of __fspath__() and thus restrict everything coming out of
>> os.fspath() to Union[str, bytes] or we don't type check anything and be
>> consistent that os.fspath() simply does is call __fspath__() if present.
>>
>> And just  because I'm thinking about it, I would special-case the FDs, not
>> os.PathLike (clearer why you care and faster as it skips the override of
>> __subclasshook__):
>>
>> # Can be a single-line ternary operator if preferred.
>> if not isinstance(filename, int):
>>     filename = os.fspath(filename)
>
> Note that the LZMA case Ethan cites is one where the code accepts
> either an already opened file-like object *or* a path-like object, and
> does different things based on which it receives.
>
> In that scenario, rather than introducing an unconditional "filename =
> os.fspath(filename)" before the current logic, it makes more sense to
> me to change the current logic to use the new protocol check rather
> than a strict typecheck on str/bytes:
>
>     if isinstance(filename, os.PathLike): # Changed line
>         filename = os.fspath(filename)    # New line

You are making one of my earlier points here, thanks ;). The point is
that the name PathLike sounds like it would mean anything path-like,
except that os.PathLike does not include str and bytes. And I still
think the naming should be a little different.

So that would be (os.Pathlike, str, bytes) instead of just os.PathLike.

+ Koos Zevenhoven + http://twitter.com/k7hoven +