[Python-Dev] New hash algorithms: SHA3, SHAKE, BLAKE2, truncated SHA512

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Sun Jun 12 10:36:56 EDT 2016

On 2016-05-25 12:29, Christian Heimes wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have three hashing-related patches for Python 3.6 that are waiting for
> review. Altogether the three patches add ten new hash algorithms to the
> hashlib module: SHA3 (224, 256, 384, 512), SHAKE (SHA3 XOF 128, 256),
> BLAKE2 (blake2b, blake2s) and truncated SHA512 (224, 256).
>

> SHA-3 / SHAKE: https://bugs.python.org/issue16113
> BLAKE2: https://bugs.python.org/issue26798
> SHA512/224 / SHA512/256: https://bugs.python.org/issue26834
>

> I like to push the patches during the sprints at PyCon. Please assist
> with reviews.

Hi,

I have unassigned myself from the tickets and will no longer pursue the
addition of new crypto hash algorithms. I might try again when blake2
and sha3 are more widely adopted and the opposition from other core
contributors has diminished. Acceptance is simply not high enough to be
worth the trouble.

Kind regards,
Christian