[Python-Dev] PEP 468

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 12:54:32 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Émanuel Barry <vgr255 at live.ca> wrote:
> As stated by Guido (and pointed out in the PEP):
>
> Making **kwds ordered is still open, but requires careful design and
> implementation to avoid slowing down function calls that don't benefit.
>
> The PEP has not been updated in a while, though. Python 3.5 has been
> released, and with it a C implementation of OrderedDict.
>
> Eric, are you still interested in this?

Yes, but wasn't planning on dusting it off yet (i.e. in time for 3.6).
I'm certainly not opposed to someone picking up the banner.
<wink-wink>

> IIRC that PEP was one of the
> motivating use cases for implementing OrderedDict in C.

Correct, though I'm not sure OrderedDict needs to be involved any more.

> Maybe it's time for
> a second round of discussion on Python-ideas?

Fine with me, though I won't have a lot of time in the 3.6 timeframe
to handle a high-volume discussion or push through an implementation.

-eric