[Python-Dev] BDFL ruling request: should we block forever waiting for high-quality random bits?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 07:35:38 EDT 2016

I understood that Christian Heimes and/or Donald Stufft are interested
to work on a PEP.

> A problem has surfaced just this week in 3.5.1.  Obviously this is a good
> time to fix it for 3.5.2.  But there's a big argument over what is "broken"
> and what is an appropriate "fix".

IMHO the bug is now fixed in 3.5.2 as I explained at:
http://haypo-notes.readthedocs.io/pep_random.html#status-of-python-3-5-2

> THE PROBLEM
>
> Issue #26839:
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue26839
>
> (warning, the issue is now astonishingly long, and exhausting to read, and
> various bits of it are factually wrong)

You may want to read my summary:
http://haypo-notes.readthedocs.io/pep_random.html

I'm not interested to reply to Larry's email point per point. IHMO a
formal PEP is now required for Python 3.6 (to enhance os.urandom and
clarify Python behaviour before urandom is initialized). Python 3.5.2
is fixed, there is no more urgency ;-)

Victor