[Python-Dev] PEP 467: Minor API improvements to bytes, bytearray, and memoryview

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 08:11:47 EDT 2016

Hello,

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 14:45:22 +0300
Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:

[]

> > $ ./run-bench-tests bench/bytealloc*
> > bench/bytealloc:
> >      3.333s (+00.00%) bench/bytealloc-1-bytes_n.py
> >      11.244s (+237.35%) bench/bytealloc-2-repeat.py
>
> If the performance of creating an immutable array of n zero bytes is
> important in MicroPython, it is worth to optimize b"\0" * n.

No matter how you optimize calloc + something, it's always slower than
just calloc.

> For now CPython is the main implementation of Python 3

Indeed, and it already has bytes(N). So, perhaps nothing should be done
about it except leaving it alone. Perhaps, more discussion should go
into whether there's need for .iterbytes() if there's [i:i+1] already.
(I personally skip that, as I find [i:i+1] perfectly ok, and while I
can't understand how people may be not ok with it up to wanting
something more, I leave such possibility).

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com