[Python-Dev] C99

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:37:21 EDT 2016

Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it worth to support a compiler that in 2016 doesn't support the C
> standard released in 1999, 17 years ago?

MSVC only supports C99 when its needed for C++11 or some MS extension to C.

Is it worth supporting MSVC? If not, we have Intel C, Clang and Cygwin GCC
are the viable options we have on Windows (and perhaps Embarcadero, but I
haven't used C++ builder for a very long time). Even MinGW does not fully
support C99, because it depends on Microsoft's CRT. If we think MSVC and
MinGW are worth supporting, we cannot just use C99 indiscriminantly.