[Python-Dev] C99

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Sat Jun 4 14:50:52 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-04 10:47, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Funny. Just two weeks ago I was helping someone who discovered a
> compiler that doesn't support the new relaxed variable declaration
> rules. I think it was on Windows. Maybe this move is a little too
> aggressively deprecating older Windows compilers?

Yes, it's not support in VS 2012 and 2008 for Python 3.4 and older. New
C99 features are available in VS 2013,
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2013/06/28/c1114-stl-features-fixes-and-breaking-changes-in-vs-2013/

Python 3.5+ requires VS 2015 anyway. Traditionally we tried to keep
backwards compatibility with older compiler versions. The new features
are tempting enough to deprecate compiler versions that have been
released more than five years ago.

Christian