[Python-Dev] C99

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Sat Jun 4 02:11:31 EDT 2016

PEP 7 requires CPython to use C code conforming to the venerable C89
standard. Traditionally, we've been stuck with C89 due to poor C support
in MSVC. However, MSVC 2013 and 2015 implement the key features of C99.
C99 does not offer anything earth-shattering; here are the features I
think we'd find most interesting:
- Variable declarations can be on any line: removes possibly the most
annoying limitation of C89.
- Inline functions: We can make Py_DECREF and Py_INCREF inline functions
rather than unpleasant macros.
- C++-style line comments: Not an killer feature but commonly used.
- Booleans
In summary, some niceties that would make CPython hacking a little more
fun.

So, what say you to updating PEP 7 to allow C99 features for Python 3.6
(in so much as GCC and MSVC support them)?

Regards,
Benjamin