[Python-Dev] PEP 467: next round

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 16:45:49 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> - 'bytes.zeros' renamed to 'bytes.size', with option byte filler
>   (defaults to b'\x00')

Seriously?  You went from a numpy-friendly feature to something rather
numpy-hostile.
In numpy, ndarray.size is an attribute that returns the number of elements
in the array.

The constructor that creates an arbitrary repeated value also exists and is
called numpy.full().

Even ignoring numpy, bytes.size(count, value=b'\x00') is completely
unintuitive.  If I see bytes.size(42) in someone's code, I will think:
"something like int.bit_length(), but in bytes."