[Python-Dev] release cadence (was: Request for CPython 3.5.3 release)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 21:25:47 EDT 2016

On 6 July 2016 at 11:09, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Jul 06, 2016, at 10:55 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>>However, if we did decide we wanted to take minimising "time to
>>redistribution" for at least Ubuntu & Fedora into account, then the
>>two main points to consider would be:
>>
>>- starting the upstream beta phase before the first downstream alpha freeze
>>- publishing the upstream final release before the last downstream beta freeze
>
> There have been cases in the past where the schedules didn't align perfectly,
> and we really wanted to get ahead of the game, so we released with a late
> beta, and then got SRUs (stable release upgrade approval) to move to the final
> release *after* the Ubuntu final release.  This isn't great though, especially
> for non-LTS releases because they have shorter lifecycles and no point
> releases.

Aye, Petr and I actually discussed doing something like that in order
to get Python 3.6 into F25, but eventually decided it would be better
to just wait the extra 6 months. We may end up creating a Python 3.6
COPR for F24 & 25 though, similar to the one Matej Stuchlik created
for F23 when Python 3.5 didn't quite make the release deadlines.

Cheers,
Nick.