[Python-Dev] More optimisation ideas

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Fri Jan 29 22:48:41 EST 2016

It doesn't currently end up on disk. Some tables are partially or completely stored on disk as Python source code (some are partially generated from simple rules), but others are generated by inverting those. That process takes time that could be avoided by storing the generated tables, and storing all of it in a format that doesn't require parsing, compiling and executing (such as a native array).

Potentially it could be a win all around if we stopped including the (larger) source files, but that doesn't seem like a good idea for maintaining portability to other implementations. The main thought is making the compiler binary bigger to avoid generating encoding tables at startup.

Top-posted from my Windows Phone