[Python-Dev] FAT Python (lack of) performance

Peter Ludemann pludemann at google.com
Fri Jan 29 03:05:09 EST 2016

About benchmarks ... I've been there and it's not benchmarks that decide
whether something succeeds or fails.
(I found this old discussion
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.lang.lisp/pF_wjA_A9fc> which
mentions FIB (also TAK <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tak_(function)>,
which is rather more brutal)  ... do you recognize the language that got an
implementation that was competitive with C in performance, was vastly more
expressive, yet failed to catch on?)

OTOH, good performance is never a bad thing and sometimes is a necessity;
so I applau this work.