[Python-Dev] do people use sys._mercurial?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jan 22 18:44:57 EST 2016

Since we are going to be switching over to Git, sys._mercurial is going to
be made to return a dummy value of `('CPython', '', '')` once we switch to
Git. But my question is do we bother to replace it with sys._git? I wanted
to make sure that the effort is worth it to keep changing these
VCS-specific attributes every time we change our VCS (and no, we are not
going to adopt a generic one; already had that debate). So do please speak
up if you actually have found value from sys._mercurial.