[Python-Dev] Devguide: Add a table summarizing status of Python branches

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 02:54:05 EST 2016

On 22 January 2016 at 07:27, Emile van Sebille <emile at fenx.com> wrote:
> On 1/21/2016 10:42 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
>>
>> On 21 January 2016 at 17:18, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's live: https://docs.python.org/devguide/#status-of-python-branches
>>
>> Nice :-)
>>
>> Minor nit, the status column says "end of life", but the text below
>> the table uses the term "end of line" (as does the comment "Versions
>> older than 2.6 reached their end-of-line". From my experience, "end of
>> life" is the more common term.
>
> I'd prefer end-of-support -- bet you can't count how many pre 2.5
> installations are still live.

I can count the number of folks contributing changes to the upstream
Python 2.5 branch: zero. Even if somebody offered a patch for it, we
wouldn't accept it - that maintenance branch is dead, which is what
the "End of Life" refers to.

Folks are still free to run it (all past Python releases remain
online, all the way back to 1.1), and downstreams may still offer
support for it, but that's their call.

Cheers,
Nick.