[Python-Dev] Update PEP 7 to require curly braces in C

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jan 19 14:36:21 EST 2016

Let's not switch to either of those options. Visually I much prefer either
of these:

if (test) {
    blah;
}

or

if (test)
    blah;

over the versions with '{ blah; }' (regardless of whether it's on the same
line as 'if' or on the next line). It looks like the shorter versions are
mostly used inside macros, where aesthetics usually go out the door anyways
in favor of robustness.

Since this discussion is never going to end until someone says "enough",
let me just attempt that (though technically it's Brett's call) -- let's go
with the strong recommendation to prefer

if (test) {
    blah;
}

and stop there.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 01/19/2016 08:56 AM, Jim J. Jewett wrote:
>
> That "otherwise" gets a bit awkward, but I like the idea.  Perhaps
>> "braces must not be omitted, and should normally be formatted as
>> follows. ... Where other C styles would permit a braceless one-liner,
>> the expression and braces may be moved to a single line, as follows: "
>>
>>      if (x > 5) { y++ }
>>
>> I think that is clearly better, but it may be *too* lightweight for
>> flow control.
>>
>>      if (!obj)
>>          { return -1; }
>>
>> does work for me, and I think the \n{} may actually be useful for
>> warning that flow control takes a jump.
>>

> Either of those two, with preference for the second on multiline ifs,
> seems quite readable to me.
>
> --
> ~Ethan~

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)