[Python-Dev] Reference cycle on the module dict (globals())

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 07:54:17 EST 2016

Hi,

>> Did I miss something obvious, or is it a known issue of the garbage
>> collector on modules?
>
> The default type flags are for objects that don't store references.
> Since you're creating a mutable container, you need to set
> Py_TPFLAGS_HAVE_GC. See https://docs.python.org/3/c-api/gcsupport.html
> for all the details.

Ok, so I missed this important flag :-) Thanks!

I had to fight against the C API to fix all my bugs, but now it works
well: a guard keeps a strong reference to the global namespace, but
objects are still destroyed when the module is unloaded!

FYI I updated my PEP 510 patch to track guards with the garbage
collector, and my fat project to fix bugs related to GC:

- https://bugs.python.org/issue26098
- https://github.com/haypo/fat

Victor