[Python-Dev] Update PEP 7 to require curly braces in C

Alexander Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Mon Jan 18 23:40:30 EST 2016

On 1/18/2016 23:27, Greg Ewing wrote:
> Brett Cannon wrote:
>> For me, I don't see how::
>>
>>   if (x != 10)
>>     return NULL;
>>   do_some_more();
>>
>> is any clearer or more readable than::
>>
>>   if (x != 10) {
>>     return NULL;
>>   }
>>   do_some_more();
>
> Maybe not for that piece of code on its own, but the version
> with braces takes up one more line. Put a few of those together,
> and you can't fit as much code on the screen. If it makes the
> difference between being able to see e.g. the whole of a loop
> at once vs. having to scroll up and down, it could make the
> code as a whole harder to read.

When someone trying to make this argument in #python for Python code...
the response is newlines are free.  Almost this entire thread has me
confused - the arguments against are kind of hypocritical; You are
developing a language with a built in design ethic, and ignoring those
ethics while building the implementation itself.

Newlines are free, use them

Explicit > Implicit - Explicitly scope everything.

I am not a core developer, but I just kind of feel its hypocritical to
oppose always using brackets for the development of *python*