[Python-Dev] Update PEP 7 to require curly braces in C

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 03:05:46 EST 2016

On 17.01.16 21:10, Brett Cannon wrote:
> While doing a review of http://bugs.python.org/review/26129/
> <http://bugs.python..org/review/26129/> I asked to have curly braces put
> around all `if` statement bodies. Serhiy pointed out that PEP 7 says
> curly braces are optional:
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0007/#id5. I would like to change that.
>
> My argument is to require them to prevent bugs like the one Apple made
> with OpenSSL about two years ago:
> https://www.imperialviolet.org/2014/02/22/applebug.html. Skipping the
> curly braces is purely an aesthetic thing while leaving them out can
> lead to actual bugs.
>
> Anyone object if I update PEP 7 to remove the optionality of curly
> braces in PEP 7?

I'm -0. The code without braces looks more clear. Especially if the body
is one-line return, break, continue or goto statement. Sometimes it is
appropriate to add an empty line after it for even larger clearness. On
the other hand, there is no a precedence of bugs like the one Apple made
in CPython sources. Mandatory braces *may be* will prevent hypothetical
bug, but for sure make a lot of correct code harder to read.