[Python-Dev] Update PEP 7 to require curly braces in C

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Mon Jan 18 02:02:20 EST 2016

On 01/17/2016 11:19 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jan 2016, 13:59 Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us
> <mailto:ethan at stoneleaf.us>> wrote:
>
>     On 01/17/2016 11:10 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>
>     > https://www.imperialviolet.org/2014/02/22/applebug.html. Skipping the
>     > curly braces is purely an aesthetic thing while leaving them out can
>     > lead to actual bugs.
>
>     Not sure what that sentence actually says, but +1 on making them mandatory.
>

> Yeah, bad phrasing on my part. What I meant to say is leaving them off is an
> aesthetic thing while requiring them is a bug prevention thing. When it comes to
> writing C code I always vote for practicality over aesthetics.

+1.

Out of curiosity, I made a quick script to see if we had any candidates for
bugs related to this. I didn't expect any bugs to be found, since with the
amount of static checkers that have been run they should have been found.
The only problem I found was in the S390 port of libffi (#ifdef-conditional
code which wouldn't even compile).

I also found (in ast.c) two instances of semantically correct code with the
wrong indent level which I fixed (see rev 1ececa34b748).

cheers,
Georg