[Python-Dev] Should inspect.getargspec take any callable?

Aviv Cohn avivcohn123 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 16 11:05:06 EST 2016

Hello :)This is my first mail here, I had an idea that I'd like to propose.
The `getargspec` function in the `inspect` module enforces the input parameter to be either a method or a function.
    def getargspec(func):        """Get the names and default values of a function's arguments.            A tuple of four things is returned: (args, varargs, varkw, defaults).        'args' is a list of the argument names (it may contain nested lists).        'varargs' and 'varkw' are the names of the * and ** arguments or None.        'defaults' is an n-tuple of the default values of the last n arguments.        """
        if ismethod(func):            func = func.im_func        if not isfunction(func):            raise TypeError('{!r} is not a Python function'.format(func))        args, varargs, varkw = getargs(func.func_code)        return ArgSpec(args, varargs, varkw, func.func_defaults)
Passing in a callable which is not a function causes a TypeError to be raised.
I think in this case any callable should be allowed, allowing classes and callable objects as well.We can switch on whether `func` is a function, a class or a callable object, and pass into `getargs` the appropriate value.
What is your opinion?Thank you