[Python-Dev] Discussion related to memory leaks requested

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 20:58:47 EST 2016

On 14 January 2016 at 10:18, Matthew Paulson <paulson at busiq.com> wrote:

> Hi Andrew:
>
> These are all good points, and I defer to your experience -- I am new to
> python internals, but the fact remains that after multiple iterations of
> our embedded test case, we are seeing continued allocations (DS2015) and
> growth of the working set (windows task manager).  If your are pooling
> resources on the free list, wouldn't you expect these items to get reused
> and for things to stabilize after a while?  We're not seeing that.
>
> I think Victor's suggestion of a very simple test case is probably the
> best idea.  I'll try to put that together in the next few days and if it
> also demonstrates the problem, then I'll submit it here.

If you want to throw your debugger at it, there's an existing
subinterpreter test case in _testembed that should exhibit any
Initialize/Finalize leaks:
https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/Programs/_testembed.c#L36

However, if there is one, our existing automated leak monitoring
unfortunately wouldn't pick it up, as the embedding tests run in a
subprocess rather than the main test process.

Cheers,
Nick.