[Python-Dev] PEP 509

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jan 12 17:57:15 EST 2016

On 1/12/2016 5:24 PM, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 01/12/2016 01:34 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>>> [1] We're not going to call it __version__ are we?  Seems like
>>> __cache_token__ is a much better name.

While I understand the rationale against __version__, it strikes me as a
better description of what it is, and easier on the brain than
__cache_token__.  Maybe there is something even better, such as
__seqnum__.  This is literally what the attribute
is, a sequence/revision number, as with the Python repository, without
the connotations of 'version', as in 'Python version'.  Each commit to
CPython changes the repository state without changing the 'version'. A
dict.update may run thru 1000s of sequence numbers, but only the final
result is a 'version' from the programmers point of view.

--
Terry Jan Reedy