[Python-Dev] GitHub migration planning has started

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Jan 10 12:43:48 EST 2016

For those of you who have not heard, I made the decision a little over a
week ago to move Python's development from our home-grown workflow to one
hosted on GitHub (mainly for code hosting and code review; we're keeping
bugs.python.org for our issue tracker). The hope is that this will let core
developers work through patches faster so that we have a better turn-around
time while being at least as good as our current workflow for external
contributors (but I will be shocked if it isn't better). There are also
people involved with the migration who plan to put in the effort to make
sure external contributors can still submit patches without ever
interacting with GitHub.

If you want to help with the transition, then feel free to join the
core-workflow mailing list where all the discussions on the details of the
migration are occurring (including the PEP I'm starting to write to outline
the steps we will be taking):