[Python-Dev] Branches in which to fix the SSL tests

Martin Panter vadmium+py at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 06:36:54 EST 2016

On 7 January 2016 at 09:57, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> As mentioned on the issue tracker I'm not convinced that your
> patch is a good solution going forward. Rather than basing
> the test on svn.python.org, which can change again in the
> future, we should use the domain we have specifically
> reserved for stdlib tests, namely pythontest.net and get this
> set up in a way so that we can run SSL tests again.

I agree my first patch is not really sustainable; I only thought of it
as a temporary workaround.

If we want to change to pythontest.net, it seems there is already an
SSL certificate set up with https://self-signed.pythontest.net,
already used by other tests. If people want, I should be able to make
a straightforward patch to switch to that.

But I would prefer to go with something like my newer
local-server.v2.patch, which essentially switches to a local server
run for the duration of each test. It is just a question of finding
someone to review my changes.

> Regarding which branches to apply the final fix, others have
> already chimed in. Essentially, any branch which we'll need
> to run tests on in the foreseeable future will need to be fixed

Yes, it seems that is a reasonable conclusion. In this case that would
indeed mean all branches including 3.2. Thanks everyone for the input.