[Python-Dev] PEP 9 - plaintext PEP format - is officially deprecated

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Jan 5 18:49:21 EST 2016

I don't think this will be at all controversial.  Brett suggested, and there
was no disagreement from the PEP editors, that plain text PEPs be deprecated.
reStructuredText is clearly a better format, and all recent PEP submissions
have been in reST for a while now anyway.

I am therefore withdrawing[*] PEP 9 and have made other appropriate changes to
make it clear that only PEP 12 format is acceptable going forward.  The PEP
editors will not be converting the legacy PEPs to reST, nor will we currently
be renaming the relevant PEP source files to end with ".rst" since there's too
much tooling that would have to change to do so.  However, if either task
really interests you, please get in touch with the PEP editors.

it-only-took-15-years-ly y'rs,
-Barry (on behalf of the PEP editors)