[Python-Dev] zipimport.c broken with implicit namespace packages

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Jan 2 15:36:23 EST 2016

FIrst off, Mike, sorry about the bug. We have unfortunately let zipimport
get into a sorry state that has made no one want to work on the code
anymore. That being said, I opened https://bugs.python.org/issue25711 to
specifically try to fix this issue once and for all and along the way
modernize zipimport by rewriting it from scratch to be more maintainable
(or whatever the module is named in case we break backwards-compatibility).

At this point the best option might be, Mike, if you do a code review for
https://bugs.python.org/issue17633, even if it is simply a LGTM. I will
then personally make sure the approved patch gets checked in for Python 3.6
in case the rewrite of zipimport misses the release.