[Python-Dev] Very old git mirror under github user "python-git"

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun Feb 28 15:15:52 EST 2016

On 28.02.2016 18:46, Georg Brandl wrote:
> On 02/27/2016 11:45 PM, Matthias Bussonnier wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>

>>> On Feb 27, 2016, at 14:21, Alexander Walters <tritium-list at sdamon.com
>>> <mailto:tritium-list at sdamon.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can we even ask github to pull it down and reasonably expect them to comply?
>>>  Their entire model is built on everyone forking everyone else.
>>
>> Why the model is everyone forking, some of the help page of GitHub actually tell
>> you to contact GitHub support, like if you desire to "detach" a fork.
>>
>> Every reasonable requests I made to GitHub and the few interactions I had with
>> the support always went well.
>> This did include asking GitHub to contact user as their pages were confusing,
>> and might be misleading others.
>>
>> So I would suggest
>>
>> 1) asking GitHub to contact author, potentially forwarding him/her a message
>> from this list asking him/her to bring that down or transfer the control to you.
>> That should be easy to do as it will not force GitHub to provide anyone with the
>> emails of the the owner of python-git.
>>
>> 2) in the case of no response from author ask politely GitHub that the repo is
>> confusing for user, and ask what they can do about that.
>
> These are both fine.  Although I don't see much confusion; there's bound to be
> hundreds of forks of CPython, if not already, then definitely once we move to
> GitHub.
>
>> 3) If still nothing can be done make a DMCA request. You can likely argue that
>> the logo/name are used without PSF content.
>> https://help.github.com/articles/dmca-takedown-policy/
>
> Please no.  There is absolutely no call using such a blunt instrument, just for
> a case of minor inconvenience.  It could also be blown up into a PR disaster,
> probably rightly so.

I frankly don't understand what all the fuzz is about. The repo
in question hasn't been touched in 7 years. It refers to Python 2.7
alpha 0.

It also clearly reads "Unofficial Python SVN auto-updating mirror",
so there's no confusion either.

The talk about DMCA requests really doesn't apply. Python is
open-source. Anyone can fork it, at any version they like, as
long as the license is respected.

The trademark use is also perfectly in line with our TM policy.
The logo is a bit blurred, but that's really the only nit I could
find.

Asking the owner to take the repo down is still a good thought,
but there's definitely nothing wrong with it per se.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Feb 28 2016)
2016-02-19: Released eGenix PyRun 2.1.2 ...       http://egenix.com/go88

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/