[Python-Dev] Buffer overflow bug in GNU C's getaddrinfo()

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Wed Feb 17 16:46:40 EST 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 12:12 PM Andrew Barnert via Python-Dev <
python-dev at python.org> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2016, at 10:44, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is this something that we need to worry about?
> >
> > Extremely severe bug leaves dizzying number of software and devices
> vulnerable
> >
> http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/02/extremely-severe-bug-leaves-dizzying-number-of-apps-and-devices-vulnerable/
>
> Is there a workaround that Python and/or Python apps should be doing, or
> is this just a matter of everyone on glibc 2.9+ needs to update their glibc?

There are no workarounds that we could put within Python. People need to
update their glibc and reboot. All *useful(*)* Linux distros have already
released update packages.

All of the infrastructure running Linux needs the update applied and a
reboot (I'm guessing our infrastructure peeps have already done that).  But
this also includes Linux buildbots run by our random set of buildbot donors.

-gps

(*) off topic: Raspbian Wheezy is apparently not on the useful list.