[Python-Dev] Bug in build system for cross-platform builds

Russell Keith-Magee russell at keith-magee.com
Mon Feb 15 03:24:50 EST 2016

Hi all,

I’ve been working on developing Python builds for mobile platforms, and I’m
looking for some help resolving a bug in Python’s build system.

The problem affects cross-platform builds - builds where you are compiling
python for a CPU architecture other than the one on the machine that is
doing the compilation. This requirement stems from supporting mobile
platforms (iOS, Android etc) where you compile on your laptop, then ship
the compiled binary to the device.

In the Python 3.5 dev cycle, Issue 22359 [1] was addressed, fixing parallel
builds. However, as a side effect, this patch broke (as far as I can tell)
*all* cross platform builds. This was reported in issue 22625 [2].

Since that time, the problem has gotten slightly worse; the addition of
changeset 95566 [3] and 95854 [4] has cemented the problem. I’ve been able
to hack together a fix that enables me to get a set of binaries, but the
patch is essentially reverting 22359, and making some (very dubious)
assumptions about the order in which things are built.

Autoconf et al aren’t my strong suit; I was hoping someone might be able to
help me resolve this issue.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

[1] http://bugs.python.org/issue22359