[Python-Dev] PEP 515: Underscores in Numeric Literals

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 05:07:56 EST 2016

On 11 February 2016 at 19:59, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02/11/2016 12:04 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>>> It looks like the implementation https://bugs.python.org/issue26331
>>> only changes the Python parser.
>>>
>>> What about other functions converting strings to numbers at runtime
>>> like int(str) and float(str)? Paul also asked for Decimal(str).
>>
>> I added these as "Open Questions" to the PEP.
>
> Ok nice. Now another question :-)
>
> Would it be useful to add an option to repr(int) and repr(float), or a
> formatter to int.__format__() and float.__float__() to add an
> underscore for thousands.

Given that str.format supports a thousands separator:

>>> "{:,d}".format(100000000)
'100,000,000'

it might be reasonable to permit "_" in place of "," in the format specifier.

However, I'm not sure when you'd use it aside from code generation,
and you can already insert the thousands separator and then replace
"," with "_".

Cheers,
Nick.