[Python-Dev] Licensing issue (?) for Frozen Python? [was: More optimisation ideas]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 23:42:46 EST 2016

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 3:31 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Of course if *you* want to you can GPL Python (I think that's now
> possible, at one time there was a issue with the CNRI license IIRC),
> and then licensees of *your* distribution (but not you!) are required
> to distribute source.

And even the GPL doesn't require you to distribute the source along
with every copy of the binary. As long as the source is *available*,
it's acceptable to distribute just the binary for convenience. For
instance, on my Debian systems, I can say "apt-get install
somepackage" to get just the binary, and then "apt-get source
somepackage" if I want the corresponding source. IANAL, but I suspect
it would be compliant if the same way of obtaining the C source code
also gets you the unfrozen stdlib.

So yeah, no licensing problem.

ChrisA