[Python-Dev] Opcode cache in ceval loop

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Feb 4 23:43:39 EST 2016

Nick Coghlan writes:

 > If someone else wanted to also describe the change in a PEP for ease
 > of future reference, using Yury's ceval.txt as input, I do think that
 > would be a good thing, but I wouldn't want to make the enhancement
 > conditional on someone volunteering to do that.

I wasn't suggesting making it conditional, I was encouraging Yury to
do it himself as the most familiar with the situation.  I may be
underestimating the additional cost, but it seems to me explaining
both before and after would be very useful to people who've hacked
ceval in the past.  (Presumably Yury would just be explaining
"after" in his ceval.txt.)

The important thing is to make it discoverable, though, and I don't
care if it's done by PEP or not.  In fact, perhaps "let Yury be Yury",
plus an informational PEP listing all of the *.txt files in the tree
would be more useful?  Or in the devguide?