[Python-Dev] Python environment registration in the Windows Registry

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 21:51:02 EST 2016

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wanted to quickly point out another use of the WIndows registry
> in Python: WindowsRegistryFinder [1].  This is an import "meta-path"
> finder that locates modules declared (*not* defined) in the registry.
> I'm not familiar with the Windows registry nor do I know if anyone is
> using this finder.

The "Modules" key (WindowsRegistryFinder in 3.3+ and previously
PyWin_FindRegisteredModule) adds individual modules by subkey name,
with the filepath in the default value (the filename can differ, but
it can't use an arbitrary extension). The "PythonPath" and "Modules"
keys both date back to Mark Hammond's Windows port in the mid 1990s.