[Python-Dev] Opcode cache in ceval loop

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Feb 2 15:49:05 EST 2016

Yury Selivanov writes:

 > Not sure about that... PEPs take a LOT of time :(

Informational PEPs need not take so much time, no more than you would
spend on ceval.txt.  I'm sure a PEP would get a lot more attention
from reviewers, too.

Even if you PEP the whole thing, as you say it's a (big ;-)
implementation detail.  A PEP won't make things more controversial (or
less) than they already are.  I don't see why it would take that much
more time than ceval.txt.

 > I can write a ceval.txt file explaining what's going on
 > in ceval loop, with details on the opcode cache and other
 > things.  I think it's even better than a PEP, to be honest.

Unlikely to be better, since that's a subset of the proposed PEP.

Of course it's up to you, since you'd be doing most of the work, but
for the rest of us PEPs are a lot more discoverable and easily
referenced than a .txt file with a short name.