[Python-Dev] Merry Christmas to me, and Python users everywhere

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Tue Dec 27 16:34:04 EST 2016

On 12/27/2016 8:09 AM, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 12/26/2016 08:46 PM, Glenn Linderman wrote:
>
>> So either Google (my email host) noticed that I got 3 of the same
>> message,
>>  and suppressed two of them, or the python-dev mail server that hosts
>> the
>>  mailing lists merged the expanded destinations with duplicate
>> suppression.
>>  I'm inclined to think the former is more likely.
>
> I am also subscribed to those mailing lists, I do not use gmail, and I
> got all three.

Thanks for this extra information, Ethan. That points at Gmail pretty
conclusively as the source of the reduction in number of messages. Since
it has long been known that Gmail suppresses CC or BCC to self, it is
likely that suppressing duplicate messages from cross-posted mailing
lists is also done... likely achieved due to matching Message-Id values.