[Python-Dev] Deprecate `from __future__ import unicode_literals`?

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Fri Dec 16 18:52:13 EST 2016

On 2016-12-16, 19:24 GMT, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I am beginning to think that `from __future__ import unicode_literals` does
> more harm than good. I don't recall exactly why we introduced it, but with
> the restoration of u"" literals in Python 3.3 we have a much better story
> for writing straddling code that is unicode-correct.

???

There has been absolute fanaticism about not changing anything
in Python 2.* because of supposed stability of API, even in
situations when I don’t think API was really in danger
(http://bugs.python.org/issue19494).  And now you would remove
a feature which zillions of lines of code depend on, or at least
could depend on?

And yes, I do use it in my current porting efforts of M2Crypto
to be py2/3k compatible.

I don’t understand.

Matěj

https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or
that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the
tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields
to war fever must realise that once the signal is given, he is no
longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and
uncontrollable events.
    -- Winston Churchill, 1930