[Python-Dev] Someons's put a "Python 2.8" on GitHub

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 17:28:08 EST 2016

So forks with modules added or removed cannot be called Python? Forks
without the blessing of the PSF cannot be called Python? That's really not
open source.

- https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/python25/diff27
- "PEP: Distributing a Subset of the Standard Library" https://
groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/python-ideas/DP5OeJu94eI
  - https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0534/

https://www.python.org/psf/trademarks/

I think trying to maintain a fork without support from the community is a
bad idea for a number of reasons:

- How quickly are vulnerability fixes to be backported? (if ever)
- Duplication of effort
- Fragmentation

But as an academic exercise, what a useful way to review both Python 2 and
3.

But it's very common for folks to apply patches and still call the package
and the binary 'python' (with the same version number):

- https://github.com/ContinuumIO/anaconda-recipes/tree/master/python-2.7
*.patch
- https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/python-devel/sources/
- http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/xenial/python-defaults
- Distribution XYZ redistribution [Python 2.7.12]
- Unmerged development forks

With these license and trademark policies, does unblessed fork need to:

- change their project name to not include the word "python"
- change the binary name so that simple PATH changes don't work
- clutter their diffs with noise
- use an arbitrary version number

Where is that stated?

Are all unmerged development forks / branches in violation of said policy?

The fork in immediate question is not backwards-compatible with Python 2.

It's clear that the PSF position is that there will never be an official
Python 2.8; and that development time and effort are better spent porting
things to the backwards-incompatible Python 3.4/3.6.